Each 250g pill contains
|Sodium chloride impure
|Triturated with the decoction of
|Ricinus communis radix
Method of preparation
All the cu-rn.as are made into fine powder and mixed with suddha guggulu to make a homogeneous mixture that is then triturated with punarnava, shunthi and eranda mula. The mixture is then dried, powdered and made into tablet form (Bhais• ajya RatnavalıSodhana reference: Bha-rat Bhaisajya Ratnakara)
- Rasa (taste): Bitter, astringent, sweet, pungent
- Vırya (energy): Heating
- Vipaka (post-digestive effect): Pungent
- Guna (quality): Dry, light
- Dosa effect: VK−, P+
- Dhatu (tissue): Plasma, blood, lipid
- Srotas (channel): Water, urinary, circulatory
- Medhavarogaghna Reduces diseases of the lipid tissu
- Mutrala Diuretic
- Vrkka Asmarı-hara Treats renal calculi
- Mutrakrcchraghna Alleviates painful urination
- Sothaghna Clears oedema
- Hrdaya Cardiac tonic
- Vataraktahara Alleviates gout and vata aggravations in the blood.
Diuretic, lithagogue, reduces cholesterol, cardiotonic, hypotensive, anti- inflammatory, lymphatic, demulcent
Heart By clearing excess fluids from the lymph and tissues it reduces strain on the heart. When there is an excess of avalambakha kapha from a weakened circulatory system, fluids collect on the chest causing catarrh, breathlessness, barrel-like chest and tiredness on exertion; punarnavadi guggulu strengthens the heart by clearing the fluids, freeing the circulation and strengthening the heart. As a result of these actions it may be of use for the kapha type of hypertension.
Arthritis When there is swelling, stiffness, morning pain, pitting where the skin does not return to its normal tension after pressing, a sensation of cold and feeling cold to the touch, then there is arthritis from kapha. The herbs in punarnavadi guggulu are primarily warming, diuretic and anti-inflammatory; clearing this type of arthritis. It also benefits vata types of arthritis, sciatica and gout where vata has entered the blood and caused aggravation with pain. This may also be of benefit in certain types of skin disorders with vata in the blood.
Urinary When there is difficulty urinating, painful urination or urinary calculi there are signs of congestion and stagnation in the mutravahasrotas. This formula clears the system of excess fluids and stagnant ‘pools’ of water. It also helps to remove blockages in the sweat channels (svedavahasrotas).
- Pushkaramoola and bala in heart weakness and cardiac hypofunction.
- Kaisor guggulu for pitta–kapha types of arthritis.
- Gokshuradi guggulu for kidney and bladder stones.
Pregnancy; high vata and dryness in the body.
500mg–1g three times per day.
- This formula is famous for its water-retention relieving properties.
- The primary diuretics are the punarnava and guduchi
- Triphala, guggulu, dantimool and trivrut clear the ama and toxins out through the bowel.
- Trikatu, bhallataka and chitraka mool all burn the toxins and evaporate the excess fluids.
- The salt loosens the toxins. There appear to be various formulations of this guggulu, including mixing the punarnava with castor oil prior to adding to the other herbs. Castor oil can go rancid quickly on exposure to air and so this is no longer often done.