Moong dal soup is a healthy ayurvedic dish, that is very high in protein. It is made with split Moong dal and flavored with “Hari Cilantro Chutney”. Moong Dal Soup is very flavorful yet simple and easy to make.
Moong dal soup (green gram soup) is easy to make and appeases hunger very well. It is something which you can have during any time of the day. Since this soup contains no corn flour and toned milk, it has less calories and very good for weight loss.
|1||Cups||Yellow split Mung dal|
|2||TBS.||Ghee (clarified butter)|
|1/2||tsp.||Black mustard seeds|
|1||tsp.||Whole cumin seeds|
|2||TBS.||Chopped fresh cilantro leaves|
|1/2||tsp.||Salt (Rock salt is best)|
|1/2||tsp.||Ground coriander seeds|
- Wash and rinse the mung dal. Wash it repeatedly until the water was quite clear.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onion, sauteing until it becomes translucent. Add the garlic and ginger, stirring, and cook briefly.
- Add the turmeric.
- Add the mung dal and 4 cups of broth or water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer. If you are using water, add salt as your taste at this point. Also add the chili peppers. Stir from time to time and skim off any foam. Add additional water, as needed. Simmer until the mung dal are quite soft, 30-45 minutes.
- Puree at this point, if desired. If you are using chili halves, remove before pureeing.
- In a small skillet heat the butter until it foams. Add the cumin and stir it in for just a few seconds, then scrape it all into the saucepan.
- Add the lemon or lime juice and ladle into bowls. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Add the tomatoes and cook stirring for another two to three minutes.
Note: Serve with lemon wedges and a side of rice.
1/2 hour, very nourishing ( easily digestible proteins) and light to digest
The recipe pacifies kapha dosha and pitta dosha, but may increase vata dosha.. With the spices and cilantro it reduces the Pitta Dosha. It is very easy to digest.
Being easily digestible, Mung Dal soup is highly recommended in conditions of diarrhea, thirst, and fever. It is an excellent diet in post surgical conditions too. Mung Dal soup is very good as a beginning diet for toddlers. However, for toddlers please do not add onion, chilies and cilantro, and use less oil.
I like moong dal. The recipe is shared is looking nice. i will make it at my home soon…I really enjoyed While reading post…Thank you for sharing healthy recipe..