Vasaka is a very well known Ayurveda remedy available everywhere and it is especially popular in rural areas. Vasa means ‘perfume’ common in evergreen perennial shrub. It is a powerful bronchodilator and expectorant for use in respiratory conditions with high kapha and pitta.
Common name Malabar nut (English), Vasaka (Hindi), Adusa (H) Sanskrit Vasa , Vasaka Latin Adhatoda vasica, syn. Justicia adhatoda–Folium (Acanthaceae family)
- Rasa (taste) Bitter, astringent
- Vırya (energy) Cold
- Vipaka (post-digestive effect) Pungent
- Guna (quality) Light, dry
- Dosa effect KP−, V+
- Dhatu (tissue) Plasma, blood, fat
- Srotas (channel) Respiratory, circulatory, digestive
- Alkaloids Vasicine, vasicinone, vasicinol, maiontone
- Essential oil Ketone
- Kasasvasahara Alleviates breathing difficulties
- Udarapras´amana Antiallergenic
- Chardinigrahan.a Prevents nausea
- Jvaraghna Reduces fever
- Raktapittahara Prevents bleeding diseases
- Raktaprasa-dana Nourishes blood
- Hrdaya Heart tonic
- Kusthaghna Alleviates skin diseases
Bronchodilator, expectorant, antispasmodic, alterative, styptic, uterine contractor, diaphoretic, febrifuge.
Vasa is the powerful bronchodilator as it eases breathlessness and bronchospasm. It clears congestive kapha. It is also good for inflammation from allergic response like rhinitis.
It is raktastambhaka as it helps in stopage of bleeding. it effect on raktapitta and effective in bleeding from ulcers, menorrhagic, epixtaxis, gingivitis etc where pitta is increased.
It helps to clear the rakta dhatu and cool pitta so helps the skin problems.
The astringent property helps the uterus contraction. This is also effective remedy for bleeding and uterine prolapse. The oxytoxic properties helps to facilitate labour during pregnancy.
Heart Vasa helps to stimulate the vagus nerves which cause vasodilation of capillaries. This increases contractile ability of heart and helps also low blood pressure.
* Anthrapachaka, bibhitaki, pippali, licorice in lung congestion from bronchospasm. Can be used with dhattura for a stronger effect.
* Trikatu and honey in asthma.
* Manjishtha in bleeding from heat and high pitta.
* Neem, chrysanthemum, manjishtha in skin disorders.
* Rose, shatavari in excess uterine bleeding from heat.
0.5–1.5g per day powdered leaf or 2.5–7.5ml per day
Roots, barks, leaves
■ It is exceptionally powerful and should only be used under the guidance of a herbalist.
■ Only use short-term (up to 6 weeks maximum).
Vasaka Powder is specially recommended in cough, emaciation and bleeding disorders specially hemoptysis.
■ Excess use can cause hypotension.
- Vasa Churna
- Vasa avaleha