Tomato Chutney is known by different names around the world. although they may have different ingredients they are basically the same cooking methods. as in: chutney tomato, green tomato chutney, tomato chilli, tomato pickle, Indian tomato chutney, chutney relish, tomato chilli chutney, tomato onion chutney, tomatoe chutney.
Preparation Time : Prep: 15 mins | Cook: 20 mins
Doshic Effect : V↓P↓K↓
- 1 good sized tomato, chopped fine
- ½ large onion, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons safflower oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 pinch hing
- 3 curry leaves, fresh or dried
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ small green chili, chopped or 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 teaspoon sucanat or other sugar
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat and add the oil, cumin and mustard seeds
- When the seeds pop, add the hing, curry leaves, cilantro, chilli and onions.
- Sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Put in the tomatoes and sugar, Stir gently to coat them well.
- Cover and turn off the heat. Let sit for a minutes and serve
Don’t make this in a copper pot or store in a metal container other than stainless steel. Because the acidic in the tomatoes will interact with the metal and ruin the chutney.
Pitta should use less hing, mustard seed and chilli. It is good for balancing all the major tridoshas.