Frankincese is the important Ayurvedic herb for bone and joint care. It shows both heating and cooling effect in the body for anti inflammatory action. . It is also used in psychiatric and mental conditions.
Common name Frankincense (English), Indian oli–banum (English), Salai guggul (Hindi) Sanskrit Sallakı , Kapitthaparnı, Konkanadhupa Latin Boswellia serrata–Resina (Burseraceae family)
- Rasa (taste) Bitter, pungent, astringent, sweet
- Vırya (energy) Heating and cooling
- Vipaka (post-digestive effect) Pungent
- Guna (quality) Dry, light, penetrating
- Dosa effect VKP−, may aggravate either pitta or vata in excess
- Dhatu (tissue) Plasma, blood, muscle, fat, bone, nerve, reproductive
- Srotas (channel) Circulatory, nervous, reproductive
- Triterpenes Boswellic acid A and B
- Sugars Arabinose, arabic acid
- Essential oils Bassorin, pinene, dipentene
Analgesic, anticholesterol, rheumatic, anti-inflammatory, emmenagogue, antispasmodic
Pain Shallaki is best pain killer in all types of pain, as it shows anti inflammatory action. It is energetic for cold and damp pain, swelling. It helps to clears blockage of channels. It clears the channels and removes toxins from circulations.
Inflammation Shallaki is the best anti inflammatory for diseases especially for joints, GIT, skins, rhumatoid arthritis, Colitis, Crohn’s disease. This action is the result of the boswellic acid reducing the activity of pain and inflammation causing leukotrienes by inhibiting the production of the 5-lipoxygenase enzyme .
Gynaecology Shallaki is the best treatment of fibroids, cysts, painful periods with clots and pain caused by congestion in apanaksetra and the uterus.
Reproduction Shallaki is the special herb for impotence and debility. It brings blood supply to penis and improves erection.
Cholesterol Shallaki helps to Reduce LDL count in the blood. It also Clears ama from the blood.
Mental Shallaki is best anti stress as it shows efffects on Agyachakra, the spritual centre connected with the pituitary and hypothalamus gland.
* Guggulu, myrrh, turmeric in inflammatory and arthritic conditions with kapha–vata aggravation. This combination may also be used in high cholesterol.
* Gokshura, ashwagandha, bala for male sexual debility.
* Shatavari, rose, safflower for menstrual pain, cysts and fibroids.
3–9g per day resin in decoction, 250–750mg three times per day