Obesity is a chronic disease prevalent in both developed and developing countries and affecting as well as adults. It is one of the most significant contributions to ill health. During last two decades the percentage of overweight and obese adults and children steadily increasing. Obesity is a health hazard and detriment to well being which is reflected in the increased morbidity and mortality. The fundamental and perhaps important task in addressing the epidemic of obesity is prevention. Unfortunately strategies that have we face today is related to our modern western environment. We live in a world of plentiful and attractive energy dense food and a working and leisure environment that encourages sedentary behavior. Solution will require involvement within our communities at many levels. Ayurveda, the science of life has been described this condition as undesirable personality (ninditapurusha) and also mentioned its causes, hazards and control. Obesity can be treated effectively by balanced nutrient intake and rational use of alternative medicine like Yoga, Naturopathy, Ayurveda, Homeopathy, Siddah and Unani. Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) is a judicious choice for healthy life.
Stholayam pragudahritah guruadivridhasan leen sleshma mishro annajo rasah.
— (Ashtang Sansrah Chaptor 224/22)
That means excessive intake of heavy and fatty meals as well as no exercise make a person obese.
SOME OTHER CAUSES
1. Over eating
4. No exercise
5. Fried foods
6. Fat-rich or junk foods and cola drinks
7. No vegetarian diet
8. Luxurious life style and excessive sleeping
9. Anxiety and depression
10. Drugs such as steroids, oral contraceptives and insulin
11. Endocrinological-induced obesity may be seen in hypothalamic lesions, hypothyroidism, Cushing syndrome etc.
Prevention is always being better then cure. A balanced diet, regular exercise, and yoga can keep you fit and healthy.
Diet for obesity
The excellent therapy to reduce the weight is less eating and more exercise. Such patients should start their treatment with liquid diet. During juice diet, a glass water mixed with half lemon juice should be taken 3 to 4 times a day. After liquid diet one time fruit diet and one time dalia and vegetable should be taken for a week. Thereafter, whole wheat chapatti and boiled vegetable should be taken. This process should be repeated after every 15 days. Prefer more fruits and vegetables, salad and sprouts to overcome the weight problem. As a weight control advice, restrict the use of sweets, heavy and oily foods. With the diet therapy and diet chart alone, the treatment of obesity is incomplete. Diet can combat obesity.
- Avoid excess eating, eating during indigestion or just after taking pervious meal.
- Avoid day sleeping; sleep in the night after one hour of your dinner.
- Do regular exercise like brisk walking (at least), running, swimming etc. avoid sedentary and lethargic lifestyle.
- Avoid eating excess sweets. Have lowfat /skim dairy products. Avoid product like chocolates, ice creams, cheese, paneer, sugar etc.
- Take non-vegetarian food like chicken, fishes, eggs, meats etc. in moderate quantity. Remove fat from meat & skin from chicken.
- Try to minimise excess oil & ghee in cooking, Use a non-stick pan for cooking. avoid hydrogenated vegetable oils, Instead of frying things try to consume roasted things & change your cooking techniques a little. Grill or bake food instead of frying, cook vegetables without fat by steaming and boiling.
- Use low fat spreads and chutney on bread instead of butter and cheese.
- Don’t consume excess alcoholic drinks or water on empty stomach.
- Avoid aerated drinks and excess water after meal.
- Intake of fat and carbohydrates should be restricted.
Ayurveda is an alternative natural herbal treatment to cure obesity by balancing the body.
- Guduchi powder helps in canalizing the fats in the body.
- Guggulu helps in reducing cholesterol and fats.
- Indian Gooseberry rich source of vitamin C that disintegrates fatty buildup in the body.
- 1 tsp guggul + Ginger + Honey, an ayurvedic alternative for obesity.
- 1/2 teaspoon of chitrak + kukti + trikatu
- Triphala (3-5 gm) or Aloe gel can be used.
- Devadaru, musta, triphala, takrarishta and honey is recommended
- Powder of yava and amalaka is an excellent formulation
- Shilajita along with the juice of Agnimatha works well.
- Take honey water early in the morning.
- Use powder of Vidanga, Sunthi, Aamalaki and ‘Loha.
- Mixture of turmeric, triphala, trikatu and honey is also useful.
Yoga through yoga poses like asanas, pranayama, meditation and relaxation techniques are helpful for weight loss, reducing obesity, lessening of body fat and weight management.
- Sarvangasana, Padahastasana, Dhanurasana (the bow pose), Paschimottanasana (the back stretching pose), Ardha-Matsyendrasana (the half spinal twist pose) Bhujangasana (the cobra pose)
- Pavan Muktasana (the wind releasing pose) Viparita Karni
- Regular practice of, Kati Chakrasana, Halasana, Matsyasana and Ushtrasana along with Surya Namaskara is highly beneficial for such patients.
- Suryabhedi and Bhastrika Pranayama are also found useful in weight reduction and obesity.