Hair loss is a metabolic disorder where hair starts thinning, falling, or disappearing. Hair loss is a condition when a person faces extreme hair fall. Baldness as it is referred to, can be due to hereditary reasons, medication or even because of medical conditions. The papilla which is an upgrowth at the base of the follicle, actually produces hair when a special group of cells turn amino acids into keratin, a type of protein of which hair is made. The major factor for hair loss is nutritional deficiency. Other causes are age factor, genetic factor, hormonal changes, stress and excessive dandruff. Hair loss must be treated on time as the risk for getting bald increases every time you have a major hair fall.The rate of production of these protein ‘building blocks’ determines hair growth. Hair loss is more common to men than to women.
Although hair is not essential to life, it is of sufficient cosmetic concern to provoke anxiety in anyone when it starts thinning, falling, or disappearing. To a woman, the sight of a comb or brush covered with lost hair can cause intense mental strain. Hair is formed in minute pockets in the skill called follicles. The rate of production of these protein ‘building blocks’ determines hair growth. The average growth rate is about 1.2 cm per month, growing fastest on women between fifteen to thirty years of age.
Following are the major hair loss causes:
1. Lack of vitamins (specially vitamin B6 and folic acid) in diet
2. Inadequate nutrition and improper diet
3. Stress, worry, anxiety, and sudden shock
4. Heredity factors
5. Prolonged Illness (like typhoid, syphilis, chronic cold, influenza, and anaemia)
6. Unclean condition of the scalp
7. Poor blood circulation
Home remedies of Hair loss
- Amla oil prepared by boiling dry pieces of amla in coconut oil is considered a valuable hair tonic. This is a very simplest and best natural remedy for hair loss.
- Boil one cup mustard oil with four tablespoon heena (mehendi) leaves. Filter it and keep it in a bottle. Message it on the bald patches regularly.
- Prepare a home made shampoo by adding 5 tbsp of curd, 1 tbsp of lemon juice and 2 tbsp of gram raw (chholia) powder. Apply it on the head for an hour and then wash.
- Mixture of almond oil, olive oil and castor oil is equally good to prevent and stop hair from further falling.
- Daily application of coconut oil mixed with lime water or lime juice on the hair prevents hair loss.
- Eating iron rich fruits and food helps in preventing the hair fall. Include apples, beetroots and jagary in your daily diet. They are rich in iron so help to prevent your hair fall.
- Make a shampoo by mixing 100 g each of amla (Indian goose berry), reetha, and shikakai and boil in two liters of water. Use this shampoo for your hair for one month. This will prevent hair loss and is good baldness treatment.
- Grind fenugreek seeds and make fine paste with water. Massage on the scalp after oiling the hair and leave it for one hour and after then wash. Repeat this every morning continously for a month.
- Ensure that you eat nutritious food, with plenty of leafy vegetables. Have a soya milk drink and multivitamin tablets if you do not have time to have a healthy breakfast. Eat healthy diet including green vegetables, dairy products and fruits.
- If there is dandruff in your hair you can mix camphor cubes in coconut oil to massage on your hair and scalp. It helps in reducing the dandruff.
- Try to reduce the stress and tension in your life, learn to relax. Stress causes hair loss.
- Apply a well prepared paste made from hot olive oil, honey, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder before bath and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Protect the hair from dust and sun. Cover your head while going in the direct sun
- Apply a mixture of Aloe Vera with herbal powder triphala to the hair for a period of three to six months. It will result in growth of new hair and is also good hair loss remedy.
- apply ginger and garlic juice on the root of hair and massage regularly it help prevent hair loss and strengthening root of hair.