Yastimadhu is the excellent sweet herbs. The sweetness of Yastimadhu is 50 times greater than sucrose. Its sweet flavour is tonic in nature and directly strengthens our kidneys, nourishes the nervous system and it is superb herbs for inflammation and balancing dosas. Licorice has long history as a rejuvenating herb in Ayurveda. It has a harmonizing action in the body and in herbal formulas.
Common name Licorice (English), Jethimadh (Hindi) Sanskrit Yastımadhu
Latin Glycyrrhiza glabra–Radix (Leguminosae family)
- Rasa (taste) Sweet, bitter
- Vırya (energy) Cooling
- Vipaka (post-digestive effect) Sweet
- Guna (quality) Heavy, moist
- Dosa effect VPK−, K+ in excess
- Dhatu (tissue) Every tissue is affected
- Srotas (channel) Digestive, respiratory, nervous, excretory, reproductive
- Triterpenoid saponins Glycyrrhizin
- Flavonoids Liquiritin, isoliquiritin
- Phytosterols Stigmasterol, β-sitosterol
- Glycyrrhetinic acid
- Volatile oils Anethole, estragole, eugenol
Expectorant, demulcent, antiinflammatory, adrenal tonic, aperient, emetic, diuretic, Promotes strength, rejuvenating, building, lung tonic, and immunostimulant
Yastimadhu is the best cough expectorant for Asthma, bronchitis, wheezing. Yastimadhu is specific rasayana for vata due its sweet, heavy and unctuous properties. But its high dose is emetic in action used as Vamana Dravya in Ayurveda.
Yastimadhu has ulcer healing for peptic, gastric, duodenal and oral ulcers. Yastimadhu has cooling and soothing action. Its demulcent nature relaxes the bowel and prevent constipation.
Yastimadhu is liver tonic in nature. It is hepatoprotective and used in hepatitis and chronic liver disease. Also used in blood disease, skin problems and balancing heat (pitta) in the body.
Kidneys and nerves
Yastimadhu is best formula for kindeys and nerves. It is best formula for adrenal tonic giving enduring energy. it is also rasayana for sukra dhatu and reproductive system.It is also nourishing majja dhatus.
Urine Yastimadhu is cooling action and unctuous nature is good for inflammations of urinary tract like cystitis painful urination etc.
Skin Yastimadhu is emolliation herbs for itching. Its antiinflammatory activities reduce pitta and prevent hot, red skin problems.
* Bala, pippali, tulsi, bibhitaki, haritaki, anthrapachaka for lung congestion.
* Fresh ginger, ephedra for influenza causing lung impairment.
* Fennel, shatavari, amalaki, kutki for ulcers and GIT inflammation.
* Guduchi, manjishtha, pippali for liver disorders.
* Ashwagandha, bala, shatavari for nervous exhaustion.
* Triphala- for eyewashes.
0.5–10g per day dried, 3–12ml per day , or 2–6ml per day of a 1:1 fluid extract.
Therapeutic Action: Can increase kapha, lowers pitta and vata
|Important formulations||:||Yastimadhu Churna, Yastimadhu Taila.|