Kutaki is the wonderful herb that grows in the freezing temperature of himalayas and absorb some cooling properties from the surrounding. Kutaki is the bitter root herb that has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Katuka literally means ‘pungent’ and it is extremely bitter taste herb.
Common name Picrorrhiza (English), Kutki (Hindi) Sanskrit Katuka- Latin Picrorrhiza kurroa, scrofulariiflora–Rhizoma (Scrophulariaceae family)
- Rasa (taste) Bitter, pungent
- Vırya (energy) Cooling
- Vipaka (post-digestive effect) Pungent
- Guna (quality) Dry, light
- Dosa effect KP−, V+
- Dhatu (tissue) Plasma, blood, fat, nerve, reproductive
- Srotas (channel) Circulatory,eliminative, female reproductive,digestive, respiratory, nervous
- The drug contains bitter glucoside kutkin, a non-bitter product kurrin, besides vanillic acid and another substance called kutikisterol.
Hepatoprotective, cholagogue, laxative and cathartic, bitter tonic, anti-inflammatory, antiallergenic, immunostimulator, anthelmintic, expectorant / Kaphapittashodhak so useful in kaphapittaj diseases. katuki is a digestive, carminative, anti-pyretic, anti-inflammatory and purgative herb, anti-viral, anti-coagulant, diuretic and expectorant properties
Kutaki is the best hepatoprotective herb agaisnt damage from hepatitis c virus. Kutaki increases the flow of bile and reduce bilious pitta acidity and nausea. It is used in liver weakness, cirrhosis and inflammatory condition in liver.
Kutaki helps in clearing heat from ranjaka pitta and the blood. It is useful for heart and specially blood transportation.
Kutaki shows the anti inflammatory effect and used for immune reactions and allergies asthma, rhinitis, eczema and kapha pitta condition. It is best remedy for bronchial asthma with its expectorant properties.
Kutaki boost up the immunity as an immune stimulant. Show best result for auto immune diseases with inflammation of pitta kapha like arthritis, psoriasis, acute and chronic infections.
Kutaki is best remedy for digestive problems. It can increase digestive fire, agni and peristalsis. Also Useful in dysentery with bleeding, bloating, mucus and parasites. Kutaki scrapes toxic accumulations from the intestines and blood. In constipation, flatulence and ascites, Kutaki acts as a purgative if given in large dose.
* Bhumiamalaki, amalaki, guduchi, manjishtha in liver inflammation and infection.
* Ashwagandha, chiretta, licorice in compromised immunity and low ojas.
* Rhubarb root, senna, fennel, ginger, cardamom in constipation or diarrhoea.
0.75 – 1 gm (minimum) 3-6 gm. (purgative and chronic fever)
Kutaki churna, Arogyavardhini vati