Kutaja is very important Ayurvedic herbs. The skin of the bark of kutaj tree is effective remedy for piles, fistula, diarrhoea, parasitic infection etc. The seeds of kutaja are called as Indra’d seeds – Indrayava .Common name Kutaja (Hindi), Sanskrit Kutaja Latin name Holarrhena antidysenterica–Cortex, Semen (Apocynaceae family)
- Rasa (taste) Astringent, pungent, bitter
- Vırya (energy) Cold
- Vipaka (post-digestive effect) Pungent
- Guna (quality) Light, dry
- Dosa effect KP−, V+
- Dhatu (tissue) Plasma, blood
- Srotas (channel) Digestive, lactation, excretory, reproductive
Alkaloids O-free alkaloids (conessine, conimine), conkurchine group alkaloids (including conessidine) and O-containing alkaloids (holarrhenine, holafrine, holarrhetine) present in bark whereas leaves contain O-containing alkaloids (kurchiphyllamine and kurchiphylline).
Astringent, carminative, amoebicidal, vulnerary, alterative, antibacterial, vermifuge
Kutaja is the best cure of amoebic and bacillary dysentery. It is effective against all type of diarrhoea caused by Entamoeba histolytica, shigella spp. It is also useful for colitis or crohn’s disease.
Kutaja has good remedy for haemorrhoids with bleeding and protusion. The cause of piles low digestive fire, congested liver, congested vein are corrected by kutaja.
Kutaja is effective for balancing pitta and raktavaha disease. It is best for kapha pitta type of skin like itching, scaling, inflammations etc.
Kutaja is astringent in taste so it helps to stop bleeding either internal and external including digestive, urinary tract.
* Pomegranate and bibhitaki for diarrhoea and dysentery.
* Fennel, cumin, hingu for bloating and flatulence.
* Ginger, pippali, kutki for piles.
* Sariva, bakuchi, punarnava and manjishtha for suppurating skin problems.
Kutaja is stronger remedy so it is recommended to use for only a short period at a time, up to a month maximum.
Contraindicated in aggravated vata or constipation.
1–12 gm per day powder or 3–12 ml per day
Classical Ayurvedic Preparation
- Kutajastaka kvatha
- Kutajaghana vati etc.