Fasting is described as religious rituals and culture. Ayurveda has also described fasting is an essential part of life and for the treatment aspects for maintain good health. Many scholars like charaka, Aristotle, Socrates described about fasting and there is strong religious belief in Hinduism, Buddhism and Muslims about fasting. Fasting helps physiological rest during which time the body can devote its self-healing mechanisms. it is spiritual means of purification of mind and body. Ayurveda has mention fasting therapy for many diseases and also discouraged the long term fasting.
According to the condition of doshas, Ayurveda has described the fasting
- People with the vata doshas constitution are never recommended for fasting more than a day or two. They should select at least one food like curd rice on which they can live for month ormore.
- Pitta doshas constitution people can fast taking water and liquids like fruits, vegetable juice. But should avoid sour juice and fruits which aggravate the pitta dosha.
- Kapha doshas people may bear with prolong water liquid fast. It is recommended for kaphas people for weekly fasting for maintaining strong digestive power. But during fasting they should avoid intense sour and sweet juices.
- For the people with mixed doshas juice fasting is recommended. Thus fasting very effective for cleansing purposes.
Conditions of fasting
- During the illness like fever, one needs of sufficient liquids than usual for maintaining high temperature and sweating. Fasting is recommended before strong desire of food and can take very light digestible diet.
- Fasting is also very useful for the condition of fatigue for congested organs and energy.
- Back pain due to muscular tightness and stress from bone disease and osteoporosis, it is recommended for fasting taking light diet and liquid food.
- Mental illness like anxiety, schizophrenia may get relief due to fasting. It is not for cure but for understanding the illness food, chemical and drugs are to considered for mental illness.
- Fasting is the best remedies for the obesity people for maintain weight in some degree.
- As scientific studies show, fasting also boosts the immune system.
- Fasting also leads to a feeling of rejuvenation and extended life expectancy.
- Fasting is suggested for the condition of patient with the disease coronary artery disease, bronchitis, angina pectoris, headache, hypertension, constipations, indigestion, diabetes, fatigue, food allergies, asthma, insomnia, skin disease and epilepsy.