Chapatti is the common recipes of India especially North India it is major dish equally to Rice. Chapati is simple but delicious recipe for Indian flatbread. You can also Serve with Indian curry, main dishes, or even use to make sandwich wraps.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- water (using yoghurt or milk will give you super soft Chapatis
- salt to taste
- small bowl of canola/sunflower cooking oil
:This is for roughly 12 Chapatis
- Mix the flour and the salt.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and begin to add the water, about it cup at a time. knead thoroughly with your hands after each addition.
- keep adding water until you have a stiff dough that will not stick to your hands. you may need to use more or less water than the recipe calls for depending upon the humidity of the climate.
- cover the dough and set it aside for half an hour.
- Now take a small handful of dough, about the size of a small egg, and roll it into a ball.
- Roll the ball in flour and flatten a little with your palms or a rolling pin.
- Brush or pat one side with oil, without putting it on the edges.
- Lightly dip the oiled side into flour. Fold over in half, covering the oiled side and fold it again. Pinch the edges together.
- Dip both sides in flour and roll out until thin and even. To roll in into a rice round shape, it helps to give the chapatti a bit of a turn each time before you roll it again.
- Place the chapatti on a hot, seasoned but not oily Chapati or frying pan until it bubbles up and the bottom has brown spots.
- Dab the oil and flip it over, cooking it until lightly brown on bottom.
- The Chapati should be cooked in 2-4 minutes.
- Wrap them in a clean tea towel until ready to serve immediately with butter, dry curries or vegetable dishes.
- It is healthy, filling and nutritious, light and purely vegetarian diet.
- It is good for constipation and other digestive problems as it has fiber contents.
- It is high energy and low calorie food. It helps reduce weight giving feeling of fullness.
- Vitamin E, selenium and fiber content prevent risk of cancer and heart disease.
- It helps balancing Vata, Pitta, and Kapha Doshas.
- Wheat is rich source of carbohydrate, protein, vitamin B1, B2, B3, B6, Iron, Calcium, Phosphorous, Maganese, Selenium, Zinc are major ingredients.