Mouth Ulcer (Ulcerations) may form on the gums and about the mouth, particularly between the teeth. Swallowing and talking are painful, there may be excessive salivation and bad breath, and the inflammation may extend to the tonsils and throat. A mild fever may be present in this condition. The first sign of the sore may be a tingling, burning sensation inside the mouth. Usually they heal within 7 to 10 days. The recurrent, bothersome form of mouth ulcers is known as recurrent apthous stomatitis or simply apthous ulcer.
Mouth ulcers may develop in response to a mouth injury such as dental procedures or aggressive tooth cleaning. They can be triggered by emotional stress, dietary deficiencies (especially iron, folic acid, or vitamin B12), menstrual periods, hormonal changes, food allergies, and similar situations. They occur most commonly with viral infections. The pains may be sharp or sticking if the mouth is dry or smarting and raw if the mouth is full of saliva. These ulcers may be broad and superficial or deep and narrow. Small ulcers may combine together and may form large ulcers on the side of the tongue or in the buccal cavities.
Following are some of the identifiers for mouth ulcers and the ways it can be treated-
- Hormone Change – Mouth ulcers in young women can be treated by hormonal therapy.
- Nutritional Imbalances – Nutritional imbalances can also cause mouth ulcer. Deficiency of vitamin B12, folic acid and iron can trigger the formation of mouth ulcers. When patients are administered iron, folic acid and vitamin B12, the mouth ulcers heal faster.
- Digestion Problems – Indigestion and acute acidity can also cause mouth ulcers.
- Stress – Stress can also cause these sores. Vitamin B helps the body deal with stress conditions.
Diet Recommendation with mouth ulcers home remedy:
The most recommended diet for mouth ulcers are as follows –
- Fruits – Apple should be eaten as it has bactericidal properties and banana as it prevents gastric ulcers and acts as protectant for internal mucosa.
- Yogurt – Consume more yogurt as it contains acidophilus bacteria which can heal and prevent canker sores.
- Avoid foods which can exacerbate the condition such a lemon, orange, pineapple, grapefruit, plum, tomato, cherry, walnut, vinegar, chocolate etc.
- Moderate intake of meat
- Eat more whole grains, green and leafy vegetables as these foods are rich in vitamin B complex.
- Reduce alcohol consumption, vinegar, coffee and chewing gum.
- Avoids foods containing enough sugar or salt.
- Avoid dairy products, oily foods, cakes and candies.
Effective Home Remedies to Cure Mouth Ulcers:
- Gargle at least 3-4 times in a day with fresh coconut milk.
- Alternately gargle with cold and hot water.
- Mix small amount of sodium bicarbonate with water and use this solution as mouth rinse.
- Avoid eating spicy food especially meat, fish or any type of animal protein.
- Avoid eating sharp edged food like dry bread or potato chips. Also avoid lozenges, chewing gums, coffee, tobacco and any food which you think can trigger ulcer formation.
- Apply peppermint oil on the ulcers; this will relieve you from the irritation and pain.
- Thrice a day gently massage your affected gums with honey and coconut milk mixture.
- Apply paste of honey and 1 tsp of powdered root bark of Indian Gooseberry on the affected area.
- Mulberry juice is highly beneficial in treating mouth ulcers.
- To 1 cup of water add 1tsp of coriander seeds, heat it till warm. Strain it and gargle with the solution 3-4 times a day.
- Pouring salt directly on the ulcer can prove effective, however this can be extremely painful and can scar.
- Try stress-relieving acupressure exercises. Avoid constant stress. Take time to exercise, sleep and relax.
- Prepare a solution by adding 2 oz hydrogen peroxide, 2 oz water, and 1 tsp each of salt and baking soda. Rinse the mouth with this solution. Do not swallow.
- Cover the ulcer with a wet tea bag; the tannin will help dry up the sore.
- For mouth ulcer treatment mix coconut milk with honey and massage the gums 3 times a day.
- Make a paste of baking soda and water—apply directly to the sores
- Mix 7 parts of sugar candy (mishri) with 1 part of camphor. Apply on the blister.
- Mix a pinch of turmeric powder to 1 teaspoon of glycerin and apply.
- Chew on 5-6 tulsi (holy basil leaves) and sip some water. Repeat 5-6 times a day.
- Raw tomatoes help rid mouth ulcers. Gargle with tomato juice 3-4 times a day also helps.