A headache is the term used to define any kind of ache or pain that occurs in and around the head, or even in the upper neck. Headache is among the most common medical complaints. Headaches may occur independently, in the sense that they are unconnected to any health condition or disease, or they may at times occur as a symptom of some disease. All of us experience headaches at some point or the other and it is in fact one of the most common complaints and also the most widely treated with home remedies and pharmaceutical headache treatments.
- Applying ice to your head when you first notice pain, but making sure not to put the ice directly on your head. You can wrap ice or a bag of frozen vegetables in a towel.
- Applying heat to the back of the neck. Heat can loosen up the muscles that tighten with tension headaches. Try a hot shower, bath, or heating pad.
- Lying down in a dark room.
- Boiling honey and apple cider vinegar and inhaling the steam.
- Stirring 1 to 2 teaspoons of lavender leaves in a cup of boiling water, and then cooling the mixture. Drink it three times daily.
- Pouring hot water (as hot as possible) into a bowl, dipping your hands into the bowl, and then taking them out. Repeat 10 times.
- Slicing peeled cucumbers and putting them on your forehead.
- Blanching five to seven rosemary leaves in a boiling cup of water, adding honey, waiting three minutes, and then drinking the mixture.
- Pouring 1 cup of boiling water over 1 to 2 teaspoons of marjoram, waiting for 5 to 10 minutes, and then drinking the mixture.
- Drinking one or two cups of peppermint tea.
- Take 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel, up to 3 times a day to relieve from headache due to hyperacidity.
- Boil a handful of rosemary herb in a litre of water and put in a mug. Cover your head with a towel and inhale its steam. It relieves you from headaches resulting from cold.
- Prepare a paste of sandalwood and apply it on forehead. It is also an effective herbal remedy for headache due to hyperacidity
- Roast some caraway seeds dry. Tie in a soft handkerchief or muslin cloth and sniff to get a relief from headaches.
- Apply the paste of 3-4 cloves on the fore head.
- A peeled and chopped apple, with a sprinkle of salt eaten first thing in the morning, for at least a week will cure chronic headaches.
- Make a herbal tea with 10-15 holy basil leaves (tulsi), 5-6 peppercorns and 1/2″ ginger piece, powder. Keep in an air tight bottle. Take 2 pinches with warm water when a headache starts.
- Massage head with rosemary oil.
- Add water to 1 tbsp ginger powder. Heat gently in a pan. Apply the warm poultice on forehead. Keep for 15 minutes.
Natural Headache Cure using Lemon
The juice of three or four slices of lemon should be squeezed in a cup of tea and taken by the patient for treating this condition. It gives immediate relief. Applying the yellow, freshly pared-off rind of a lemon to each temple will also give relief.
Cure Headaches Naturally using Apple
Apples are valuable in curing all types of headaches. After removing the upper rind and the inner hard portion of a ripe apple, it should be taken with a little salt every morning on an empty stomach in such cases. This should be continued for about a week.
Natural Headache Remedy using Henna
The flowers of henna have been found valuable in curing headaches caused by hot sun. The flowers should be rubbed in vinegar and applied over the forehead. This remedy will soon provide relief.
Headache Remedy using Cinnamon
Cinnamon is useful in headaches caused by exposure to cold air. A fine paste of this spice should be prepared by mixing it with water and it should be applied over the temples and forehead to obtain relief.
Headache Treatment using Marjoram
The herb marjoram is beneficial in the treatment of a nervous headache. An infusion of the leaves is taken as a tea in the treatment of this disorder.
Headache Treatment using Rosemary
The herb rosemary has been found valuable in headaches resulting from cold. A handful of this herb should be boiled in a litre of water and put in a mug. The head should be covered with a towel and the steam inhaled for as long as the patient can bear. This should be repeated till the headache is relieved.