Coughing is the natural reflex of a body to feeling of irritation in the throat. There are basically two types of cough – Wet and Dry. The wet cough is often accompanied by mucus or phlegm while dry cough is one where there is no mucus and the throat hurts a lot due to dryness. Dry cough can arise due to plenty of factors like smoking, excessive exposure to pollution, dust or any other allergy, etc. The most effective treatment for dry cough is by natural and home remedies..
Home remedies for dry cough is practical, inexpensive and mostly effective. You can try doing these home remedies for dry cough upon feeling the first sign of throat irritation or itchiness. A dry cough may be associated with illness such as allergies, bronchitis or other irritants. Home remedies can be used to effectively treat a dry cough.
Chop one onion and extract its juice. Mix one teaspoon of onion juice with one teaspoon of honey, onions also work to remove phlegm when combined with lemon and boiling water. extract the juice from the onion and mix 2 tsp. with 1 tsp. of honey.
Treat a dry cough with a gargle consisting of lukewarm water and a teaspoon of salt.
Boil oregano in a cup of water, filter, and drink to lessen the intensity of a dry cough.
Green Tea with Honey:
Soothe not only your throat but also a dry cough when you add honey to a cup of green tea.
Dry coughs plagued by thick mucus will respond to a regular cup of aniseed tea – a spice with a flavor much similar to licorice and fennel. Aniseed is well known for its medicinal uses. Aniseed can be used to make a warm tea, which is effective in loosening mucous and relieving a dry cough.
Create a healing sauce with raisins to soothe a cough by grinding 100 grams of raisins with water. Blend in about 100 grams of sugar and heat the mixture until a sauce-like consistency is achieved. Preserve the sauce and take 20 grams before going to bed on a daily basis.
Add a humidifier to your bedroom to combat a dry cough that comes at night.
Before retiring for the night, drink a cup of hot milk with honey, which will not only deliver relief for a dry cough, but also encourage a sound night of rest.
Place ginger in a pot of boiling water before adding it to your regular amount of tea leaves. Lastly, put in a pinch of pepper along with three to four basil leaves. Drink hot to soothe the throat.
Gain relief from a bothersome cough by adding cinnamon to a cup of tea.
Soak seven almond kernels overnight and remove the brown skin in the morning. Ground the almonds to create a fine paste. Add 20 grams each of butter and sugar to the paste, which should be administered in the morning and evening.
drink one cup of grape juice mixed with one teaspoon of honey on a daily basis. It is best cough expectorent
Ginger (zingiber officinale) has long been used and recommended for arthritis and bursitis, because it is a natural anti-inflammatory.
Cayenne (capsaicin) reduces pain, it is a good cold remedy and eases chills and will even ease the lingering pain from shingles.
Vinegar has so many healthful uses.
Garlic has been used as a home remedy to treat many types of illness. Garlic has antibiotic properties, which helps to cure a dry cough.
Black pepper is a well known home remedy for treating dry cough. Black pepper can be mixed with honey and drink to release mucus and clear the airways.
Water-melon: It is useful to eat water melon in dry cough.
Dates: Dates provide relief from dry cough.
Mango: Roast a ripe mango in hot ashes. Eat it when it is cool. It cures dry cough.
Home treatment for adults
- Prevent dehydration. Fluids may help thin secretions and soothe an irritated throat.
- Elevate your head with extra pillows at night to ease a dry cough.
- Quit smoking and do not use other forms of tobacco, especially while you have a cough. For more information on quitting smoking, see the topic Quitting Smoking.
- Avoid exposure to inhaled irritants, such as smoke, dust, or other pollutants, or wear a face mask that is appropriate for the exposure. Many kinds of face masks are available. If you suspect problems with stomach acid may be contributing to your cough.
- Drink plenty of water to moisturize your throat. This will ease the itchiness of the throat and soften the mucus along the respiratory tract. Drinking lemon juice with honey would also relieve you from throat soreness since it enhances salivation to deal with dryness.
- Eating fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C is one of the most effective home remedies for dry cough. It would also help strengthen your immune system.
- Constantly suck on hard candies especially the mentholated candies
- Take plenty of rest
- Chew a piece of ginger sprinkled with salt
- The traditional warm water and salt treatment is possibly the best dry cough home remedy, and in fact it works for almost any cough, providing at least immediate if not permanent relief.
- Steam inhalation is a good dry cough remedy if there is phlegm that you are unable to expel.
- Gargles are always effective for treating dry cough. Take some lukewarm water with a bit of salt and gargle. Alternatively, you can prepare a decoction of henna leaves for treating dry cough.
- Before going to bed, drink hot milk with some honey. This will provide instant relief from dry cough and also make sure that you have a sound sleep.