The function of eye is like a camera. If anything goes wrong in the lens the pictures are blurred same as condition is called cataract. Where there is opacity or clouding of the eye’s natural lens which if not treated can lead to blindness.
Sushruta, the famous Ayurvedic surgeon, has described four layers of the eye, in addition to the two eyelids that form the walls. Abnormalities in the third layer of the eye, Timir Roga (loss of light perceptions), lead to vision defects. One Timir roga results in a disease condition. It is called Kaacha and if this Kaacha leads to blindness it is called Linganash(Cataract).
As per the ayurveda principle it is predominance of doshas cause adverse impact to lens. Cataract can occur due to the abnormalities of Kapha, Rakta, Sannipataj and Sansaraja. The colour in the Cataract lens depend upon the type of abnormalities.
Causes of Cataract:
- Local injury, inflammation, temperature variation, changes in the pressure inside the eyes and decreased ability of the capsule covering the eye to allow fluid to enter and exit.
- Systemic old age sysmptoms, vitamin deficiency, endocrine glands dysfunctions.
- Rasayans are medicines that improve vitality and agility of the mind and body. Indian gooseberry and Indian gall nut based rasayans are especially effective.
- 10-12gm of Mahatriphala Grhita once or twice a day with milk
- Herbo mineral preparation like 500gm of Saptramit Lauha twice a day with honey.
- Medicated kajal prepared from herbs is recommended from childhood itself. Aqueous extract of Palash, lotus honey (at bedtime in both the eyes), rose water (twice or thrice a day), and some eyes exerces improves eyesight.
- Akshitarpana with the medicated ghee is very beneficial therapy.
- Surgical removal and replacement of the lens is essential if there is irreversible damage to the lens. Reviewing the general health, habits working condition, rest and recreation are helpful.
- Alternately, take one litre juice of amla, thicken it, and add 50 grams ghee and 50 grams honey. Apply it externally.
- The internal usage of the powders of triphalas, turmeric and yashtimadhu (mulathi), three to six grams in combined form along with honey or ghee, helps a lot to slow down the cataract formation.
- Take a tablespoonful Triphala choorna and add to a tumbler of water in the evening. Cover and keep aside for 12 hours. In the morning, strain it through a piece of clean cloth. Use this filtrate for both washing the eyes and taking internally.
Note: Eye is the very delicate organs, these treatment are not for home remedy. It should be strongly followed under the supervision of experienced Ayurveda Medical Practitioners.
Thank you for your advice. About 2 years ago on a visit to my optician I was told that I have the beginnings of a catarac condition. I began taking triphala, on a nightly basis- not for the catarac but as a slow means of detoxing, plus I also took garlic and honey, to lower cholestrol.
I Just came back from the opticians, and the good news are that my eye condition has considerably improved. (no mention of cataracs) I no longer need distance glasses and my reading priscription has remained the same for 4 years. ( I must add I was also taking lutein)
I was unsure what could cause such improvement,until I read your article. Thank you