Ayurveda is the ancient science of healing incorporates with herbal medication, massage, yoga, and purification process. Among them massage is highly praised and recommended as a daily practice. It is usually performed in the morning before your bath or shower to facilitate the release of toxins accumulated during previous night. Massage is usually done with herbal powder, herbal oils, ghee, hot bolus, or bundles. Selection of oil or medicine depend upon the body constitution (dosha), age, type of disease and season. Ayurvedic oil massage is called Abhyanga in Ayurveda and it is widely practiced. Ayurvedic massage includes massage of marma point (vital points or the pressure points) & chakra’s (energy centers). It’s generally quick, repetitive, rhythmic, and hypnotic with lots of long strokes brushing up and down the muscles and around the joints.
Here are some benefits of ayurvedic oil massage:
- Regular oil massage (abhyanga) delays the aging process. Massage gives a beautiful luster to the skin.
- Massage tones and relazes the underlying muscle tissue, nourishing the skin and giving the body pleasant curves.
- Massage increase body heat and improves circulation.
- Massage increase the flow of life giving oxygen to the tissues.
- Massage flushes the body’s resistance to disease by improving immune responses.
- Massage makes the body feel light, active and energetic.
- Massage removes stiffness from the joints, improving posture and grace of movement.
- Massage makes the spine supple, improving nerve supply to the organs and all parts of the body.
- Massage increases stamina and sexual vitality.
- Massage corrects the flow of electromagnetic energy throughout the body.
- Massage improves concentration and intelligence.
- Massage builds body awareness, self-confidence, and will power.
- Massage is rejuvenating and preserves youthful qualities
- If daily massage on whole body is not possible then at least feet or head must be massaged. Feet massage before going to bed and head massage every third day can be helpful.