In a healthy body, due to weakened immune response against invasion by harmful agents condition is Allergy. “Allergies” become a health problem when an excessive and unwanted allergic response occurs to particles that are part of our normal environment and are not actually dangerous to the body. According to Ayurvedic thought, seasonal allergies are connected to the earth. As the earth is more saturated during this time of the year due to the increased rain, the earth is holding on to more water than usual. During spring, the earth produces many different vegetables and berries. These foods are naturally healthy and fat-free and are exactly what our bodies need to rid. ourselves of congestion and counteract all of the increased fats we absorbed during the winter months. The first is excessive dryness, or vata allergies. The second is inflamed sinuses, or pitta allergies. Finally, the third type of allergies is called kapha allergies and occurs when you are congested. Ayurvedic medicine has also found that eliminating allergens from your body will help alleviate symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.
Cause of Allergies
Although pollen, dust, dander, trees and other allergens are the trigger for allergies in susceptible people, they are not the underlying cause. Certain foods are more mucous producing and Ayurvedic medicine recognizes those foods as Kapha foods thus aggravating allergies like dairy, different preservatives wheat, sugar, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, bananas, oranges, and grapefruits.
Recommended Diet for Allergies
The main dietary and eating guidelines for allergies are as follows.
- Ayurveda recommends eating the largest meal when you are most capable of digesting it.
- Eat a warm, freshly cooked vegetarian evening meal without fried foods, desserts, cheese, yogurt or other curdled products, since these are heavy for digestion and cause more blockage, congestion and mucous.
- Ayurveda recommends we eat fresh warm food, freshly prepared. Also, avoid cold drinks, ice cream, frozen yogurt and other cold foods.
- Avoid excessively hot spices, sour and acidic foods. These foods are irritating to the body and promote inflammation, according to Ayurveda. foods with chilis, tomato sauces, hard or aged cheeses, refined sugar and sweets, and acidic foods. Bell pepper, eggplant and potato should also be avoided due to their channel-clogging effects.
- Turmeric in particular has anti-allergy, immune-balancing effects. Coriander helps to detoxify on a cellular level; fennel cools and balances; ginger helps the digestion and dissolves ama, and black pepper clears the channels and increases bioavailability of nutrients. Make a spice mixture of 6 parts fennel, cumin and coriander, 4 parts turmeric and 1 part each of ginger and black pepper.
- Do sip boiled warm or hot water about every half hour during the day around the change of seasons, to help your body purify and to support good digestion.
- Get a full night’s sleep & Exercise early morning.
- The chamomile Tea is considered as natural anti-histamine. This is very popular drink through out the world.
- The garlic is one of best immunity builder against any type of the allergens. Garlic has proven its efficacy as decongestant and hence also used in various types of coughs and colds.
- Simple and plain honey will work. This gives fight towards the allergens and also helps you become resistant to certain pollens.
- Dry grains like chickpeas, kala channa, corn, fish like salmon, trout, cod are better choices. Tea with cardamom, pepper and ginger, lemon juice and honey work effectively. Diet rich in lots of fruits and vegetable of different colors are recommended.
- Peppermint tea is used to help relieve congestions from the nose and so the respiratory tract.
- The ginger is sufficient enough to cover up all the causative factors to allergy. This not only builds immunity but also reduces the over secretion of histamine from the body .
- The green tea or the common table tea has natural capacity to block the over secretion of histamine.
- Dilute the vinegar by adding little water and apply it with a cotton ball on the bug-bites. This prevents the allergic reaction towards the toxins secreted in bite. You can also put some vinegar in your bath-tub.
- You can consume Vit A & Vitamin E regularly at least for 3-4 weeks. This possesses good anti-allergic property.
- Go for half cup of the vegetable or fruit juice or take simple plain water and add about 5 drops of castor oil. This drink should be taken on empty stomach in the morning.
- Limejuice is most popular remedy for allergy. Lukewarm water is mixed with one teaspoon of honey and ½ tsp of limejuice is taken on regular basis early in the morning.
Yoga –Pranayam is the breathing exercise to keep yourself healthy and Happy.The regular practice of certain type of Pranayamas like Bhastrika, ujjai, Kapalbhati, Anulom Bilom is very much beneficial.
Panchakarma – Panchakarma is only bodily purification methods to prevent yourself from Allergic response and enhance immunity. Purification done yearly in certain interval is very helpful to keep yourself strong. Vaman (the emesis therapy), Nasya(Nasal medication) and Virechan therapy (the laxatives therapy) are very effective to detoxify the body.