People gain weight and height as per their age. Several people weigh less than their ideal body weight and the condition is referred as underweight. The BMI is used to assess how much an individual’s body weight. and BMI lower than 18.5 suggests the person is underweight. Many individuals are facing the problem of underweight due to many reasons like malnutrition, physical and mental diseases, metabolic, genetic, growth abnormality etc. People who are underweight are always searching for the best way to gain weight and fails to get natural procedures. Being underweight can lead to bone loss, heart problems, infertility, lack of nutrition, Anaemia, weak immune system, frequent illness, hair loss, dry skin, wrinkles, osteoporosis, arthritis, weakness etc. A good diet plan with well balanced nutrients and a little change in lifestyle help to gain healthy body weight.
According to Ayurveda, Underweight is called Karshya. Leanness or karshya are characterized by poor weight, less muscle mass, sunken skin, bones, poor development of chest, limbs and buttucks. According to principle of Ayurveda, people with a dominant vata dosha often have difficultly absorbing nutrients and may be prone to underweight.
It is due to wide variety of reasons like feeding habits during younger, poor eating habit, disease, hyperthyroidism, psychological stress, anxiety etc.
Karshya is not a disease but a bodily condition. It is not known to transfer in family but can be genetic.
Guidelines for gaining weight –
- Eat food with extremely high caloric value and Nutrition.
- Increase your food intake without consuming too much fat and sugar.
- Eat regular meals, especially breakfast, are important if you find it difficult to gain weight. Don’t escape your meal.
- Eat Late – Having snacks at bedtime may help to gain weight.
- Relax and don’t go to bed immediately after eating to let digestion complete.
- Eat frequently- Eat five or more meals a day. Don’t eat more than hunger and beyond your capacity.
- Do regular exercise.
- Stay calm and cool. Don’t get stressed, anger, grief, sorrow, anxiety and depressed.
- Vata causes weight loss in body. Massaging whole body with vata balancing herbal oil
- Mix 1 teaspoonful of ghee and sugar and lick this mixture in empty stomach daily before lunch and dinner.
- Eat a ripen banana with cup of warm mil with a tea spoonful of ghee mixed or stirred and little sugar.
- Don’t eat junk food. Avoid alcohol, smoking habit and include meats in your dishes. May be fruits, vegetables, juices, dry fruits are good during meal.
- Eat balanced food which all essential nutrients like fat, vitamin, minerals, protein etc.
- Drink water during meal to improve your digestion as food, digestive juice and water mixed up well.
- Boost your appetite by working, exercise, walking, dancing etc. at least 30 minutes a day.
- Eat soaked dry grapes or dates soaked in warm milk in empty stomach every morning.
- Eat 1 ripe mango 3 times a day and Follow it up by drinking 1 glass of milk
- Weight gain therapy in Ayurveda is called Brimhana therapy. Various steps are advised in Ayurveda as belows
- Herbs having character of earth(Prithivi) and water(Jal) in propersion are advised.
- Vata is the cause of emaciation and weight loss. So considering vata balancing oil massage is planned mixed with nourishing oil. Like Kshirbala oil
- Ayurvedic classical Formula called Brimhana Rasayanas are prescribed.
- Ghee, milk products, meat and nutritious foods increase kapha and reduce vata.
- Avoid stress, depression, anxiety. Feel relax and get proper rest.
- Restrict stressful physical activity and treat the underlying cause.
Chyawanprash: Chayawanprash is the wonderful compound herbal tonic for all age, gender and creates harmony in the body improving metabolism. Take 1 teaspoonful of chyawanprash with milk at bedtime.
Shatavari Kalpa: It is another Ayurvedic tonic for eyes, muscles, reproductive organs, increase body weight and vigour/vitality. Take 1 teaspoonful two times a day with milk or luke warm water.
Makardhwaj Gold: Makardwaj is excellent tonic and Rasayana drugs. Follow under the prescription of Ayurvedic specialist.
Vasant kusumakar rasa: Another excellent tonic for rejuvanation of body, tones your system and improve immunity. Follow under prescription of Ayurveda doctor.
Swamala : It works wonders over the mal-nourished body. Take 1 spoon ful early morning or just before food with a cup of milk for best result.
Ashwagandhavaleha : This is Avaleha preparation with general tonic Ashwagandha which help rejuvenate and increase vigour/Vitality. Take 1 teaspoonful with warm water or milk.
Draksharista : Take 3 teaspoonful of this preparation with equal amount of water 3 times a day.
Ashwaganda choorna : This is very effective Ayurveda medicine. Take with ghee or honey or even milk thrice daily .