Delicously aromatic, ajwain is a wonderful remedy for sluggish digestion and coughs. A truly warmig seed.
Common name: Bishop’s weed (E), Sanskrit Yavani, Yavanika, Agnivardhan
Latin Trachyspermum ammi syn. Trachyapermum copticum, carum copticum/roxburghianum/ajawan, Ptychotis ajowan-Semen (Umbelliferae)
- Rasa(taste) Pungent, bitter
- Virya (energy) Heating
- Vipaka (post-digestive effect) Pungent
- Guna (quality) Light, dry, penetrating
- Dosa effect (VP-, P+)
- Dhatu (tissue) Plasma, marrow, nerve
- Srotas (channel) Digestive, respiratory, nervous, urinary
- Essential oils Thymol, dipentene, camphene, myrcene, limonene
- Fatty acids
- Dipaniya Awakens digestion
- Pachaka Digestive
- Sulaprasamana Alleviates intestinal spasms
- Stanyajanana Promotes breast milk
- Swasa Benefits breathing
- Anuloma Mild laxatives, corrects the flow of vata
- Amanasaka Toxins digester
- Sulaprasamana Alleviates pain
- Krimighna kills parasites
- Vatakaphahara Alleviates vata and kapha
Antispasmodic, carminative, nervine, analgesic, diuretic, bronchodilator, expectorant, anthelmintic.
Digestion : Specifically indicated for low digestive fire (mandagni). It combines warming digestive pungency with antispasmodic and bitter activity and sluggish digestion. Also benefits worms and fungal infections.
Lungs : As an antispasmodic it effectively eases wheezing and constricted lungs due to vata and cold. Also beneficial in sinus and nasal congestion, it stimulates and opens the channel of the head (manovahasrotas)
Nerve: Ajwain relaxes tension in the nervous system, especially in the lower abdomen, unproductive system and lungs. Use in men cramping,colic, wheezing, and general anxiety. As it benefits the whole nervous system it can help to lift the sluggish lethargy of mild depression. It normalize the flow of vata and all the pranas around the body. By aiding udhana vayu, the prana regulating speech and enthusiasm, and by clearing lungs and throat, it opens the way for clear communication.
Urine : As a warming diuretic it can clear urinary frequency from cold. It also benefits painful urination caused by calculi.
- Haritaki, amalaki, fennel, cumin for digestive sluggishness and bloating.
- Pippali, bibhitaki, vasaka for wet cough with white phlegm and asthma
- Brahmi, gotu kola, ashwagandha for mental tension
- Shatavari, ginger, turmeric, rose for menstrual pain
- Gokshura, bhumiamalaki, manjistha and shilajit for uninary stones from kapha
Acidity, high pitta, during pregnancy
No drugs-herb interaction are known
250mg-5g per day or 3-15ml per day of a 1:3 @ 60% tincture.