Triphala is an Ayurvedic herbal rasayana formula consisting of equal parts of three myrobalans.
Each 100gm Contains
- Haritaki Terminalia Chebula 33.3gm
- Bibhitaki Terminalia Belerica 33.3gm
- Amalaki Emblica officinalis 33.3gm
Method of preparation
All the herbs are made into fine powder and mixed together to make a homogenous mixture (Bhavaprakash).
- Rasa (taste) : Sweet, sour, pungent, bitter, astringent
- Virya (energy) : Cooling
- Vipaka (Post-digestive effect) : Sweet
- Guna (quality) : Light, dry
- Dosa (effect) : VPK=
- Dhatu (tissue) : All tissues rejuvenated
- Srotas (channel) : All channels cleansed, especially channels of elimination
Tannins, alkaloids, sennoside, ascorbic acid, Vitamin C, bioflavonoids, mucilage
- Pachana Toxin digester
- Dipana Appetiser
- Rasayana Rejuvenative
- Anulomana Mild laxative, redirects the flow downward
- Netrarogaghna Treats eye disorders
- Pramehaghna Alleviates diabetes
Laxative, colon tonic, aperients, alternative, anti inflammatory, carminative, expectorant, antioxidant, antimicrobial
Digestion Traditionally used for maintaining a healthy digestive tract. Use when there is signs of sluggishness, constipation, bloating, flatulence, abdominal pain and indigestion. It can help to heal ulcers, inflammations, haemorrhoids and general dysbiosis in the gastrointestinal tract.
Lungs When there is copious coughing with clear or white phlegm Triphala is used to clear this congestion and strengthen the lungs. Signs of rhinitis, hay fever and sinusitis may also benefit.
Skin When there are signs of toxicity in the blood with skin inflammations, acne or boils triphala is used to detoxify the whole system. Also used as a mouthwash in gum inflammations with bleeding gums.
Eyes Triphala has a long history of use for eye inflammation; conjunctivitis, styes, blepharitis. Use an eyewash of the infusion.
Weight In conditions of excess weight, high cholesterol and obesity. Triphala can be used as part of a weight-balancing programme. Also used to help prevent overeating and food cravings due to its balanced spectrum of flavours.
- Triphala is combined with many herbs and formulas as it is central to ayurvedic programmes of health maintenance.
- Trikatu (ginger, black pepper and long pepper) in sluggish digestion and low appetite. Also beneficial in lung and nasal congestion.
- Neem, aloe vera and turmerica in skin conditions with inflammation.
Caution in pregnancy
2-3 capsules 2 or 3 times per day; 0.5-5gm of powder per day