Buttermilk is the worldwide common creamy beverage derived from separating butter by churning curd. The milk collected after the butter is removed is called buttermilk. Butter milk is called healthy drink as it contain low fat and calorie. It contains enough vitamins, minerals, and has lots of health benefits. It is also high in potassium, vitamin B12, calcium, and riboflavin as well as a good source of phosphorus. Those with digestive problems are often advised to drink buttermilk rather than milk, as it is more quickly digested. Buttermilk has more lactic acid than skim milk. One cup of buttermilk has 99 calories and 2.2 grams of fat, whereas whole milk has 157 calories and 8.9 grams of fat.
Butter milk is called “Takra” in Ayurveda. It has been described with great medicinal values and properties. Buttermilk is (laghu) light in nature which doesnot cause heaviness. Buttermilk is sour in taste and acts as an astringent which has helps for acne and pimples. It reduces hyper mobility of intestine due to IBS, Diarrhoea. Which help for preventing hemorrhoids . Various Ayurvedic medicines are co-prescribed with buttermilk to drink along with. It balances the doshas and acts as the appetizer also. It reduces bloating, indigestion, reduces effects of poison and very useful for anemia.
Health benefits of Buttermilk
- Buttermilk is also considered a digestive aid, improves digestion, appetite and prevent heartburn, acidity etc.
- Buttermilk is a good source of vitamin B12, which believed to help fight anemia, stress, and may help promote nerve cell growth.
- Potassium is believed to help lower blood pressure and, like vitamin B12, riboflavin helps convert foods to energy.
- Buttermilk is also considered a good source of calcium and phosphorous for healthy bone and teeth.
- Buttermilk is lower in calories and fat than whole milk, and even some reduced-fat milks. So it prevent weight gain, diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Butter milk detoxifies body and cleanses the intestines, relieves constipation and helps to replenish intestinal flora.
- Buttermilk low fat content makes it capable for fighting various cardiovascular diseases.
- Bacteria present in buttermilk helps to fight against various harmful effects of diseases.
- Buttermilk is best beverage during summer seaseon to reduce bodily heat and keep yourself healthy.
Delighted to read your post on buttermilk.
It is indeed a wonderful food and not many people are aware that curd and lassi do not have the same health benefits as buttermilk.
How exactly do you make buttermilk? Is there any tadka that is recommended?
Should it be salty or sweet?
Would love to have all these details.
Yes, Buttermilk is lower in fat than regular milk, because the fat has been removed to make butter. It is also high in potassium, vitamin B12, calcium, and riboflavin as well as a good source of phosphorus.