It is the common Indian dish and best Ayurvedic dish for doshic balance. It can be made in your kitchen according to your taste and need. Upma is nutritious and can be taken as lunch, dinner and even breakfast. Extra spice can be added according to your and served.Upma is very easy /quick to make, easy to digest and it can be made of minimum ingredients.
1 cup Rava / Sooji (Semolina)
25 gms fried Cashew Nuts (optional)
1 inch Ginger chopped
1 chopped Onion
3 Green Chillies slit sideways
1 Potato chopped
1 Capsicum chopped
1 Carrot chopped
1/4 cup Green Peas frozen or fresh
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Urad Daal
1 tsp Channa Daal
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
Chili powder to taste (optional)
2 tblsp Oil
Few curry leaves
Finely chopped corianderleaves
1 tblsp Ghee
Lemon juice to taste
Preparation Time + Cooking time : 30 minutes
Direction of preparation
- Sift rava through a muslin / cheese cloth or very fine sieve.
- Heat 1tbsp. pure ghee / unsalted butter and fry rava ,on a moderate heat, stiring constantly to light brown color and set aside.
- Now heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add mustard seeds and allow them to splatter.
- Add the daals : channa & urad & curry leaves to it and fry till they turn red.
- Stir in the onion, cilantro and chilli and cook until the onion is browned.
- Add all the vegetables, turmeric & chili powder, and salt to taste.
- Now add 3 cups of water and cover the pan and allow it simmer on low heat until the vegetables are done.
- Add the fried rava to it stirring constantly till it becomes little thick.
- Take off from the heat and lemon juice if desired.
- Serve hot garnished with cashews and coriander.
Note: Roasting removes the allergens, glutamins and other kapha qualities of the wheat
Kapha can eat this in moderation if they increase the mustard seeds and chilli. Bear mush is sweat, unctuous and cooling. Upma is very similar to creamed wheat (cream of wheat). It is good as breakfast food or to accompany the main meal.