Equal parts of:
|Rakta chandan||Pterocarpus santalinus|
Method of preparation
1 part of the formula is decocted in 16 parts water until 4 parts remain. This is then strained and stored (Bhaisajya Ratnavalı; Kusthadhikara)
- Rasa (taste): Bitter
- Vırya (energy): Cooling
- Vipaka (post-digestive effect): Pungent
- Guna (quality): Light, dry
- Dosa effect: PK−, V+
- Dhatu (tissue): Plasma, blood, muscle
- Srotas (channel): Circulatory, urinary, excretory
- Kusthaghna Alleviates skin diseases
- Vataraktaghna Alleviates gout
- Raktapittasamaka Reduces bleeding
Alterative, antipruritic, anti-inflammatory, haemostatic, circulatory stimulant, laxative, diuretic
Skin This bitter formula directly clears heat from the plasma and blood. When pitta overflows into the tissues it can irritate the skin and mañjisthadi clears these inflammatory toxins from the site of bhrajaka kapha. It clears heat by cleaning the liver, purifying the blood, increasing diuresis and promoting bowel movements. These actions combine to reduce itching, redness and swelling. Especially useful in stubborn conditions where there are chronic lesions that have become deep-seated into the muscle tissue with purpurea, itching, lichenification, scarring and desquamation. Used in chronic eczema, psoriasis, acne, acne rosacea, systemic lupus erythematosus and vitiligo.
- Kaisor guggulu for internal tumours.
- Punarnavadi guggulu when oedema and heavy suppuration are present.
Not in pregnancy.
50ml of the decoction twice per day.
- The bitter manjishtha and daruharidra clear high pitta, are anti- inflammatory, invigorate the blood, and remove chronic lesions.
- Bakuchi helps to heal the dispigmentation and lichenification of the skin.
- Bala, shatavari, yasthimadhu and amalaki all help to nourish the skin and rasa dhatu by removing itching and dryness induced by heat.
- Neem, agnimantha, vasa, patol, usheer, red sandalwood and guduchi all reduce inflammation, burning, redness and itching. They work directly on ranjaka and bhrajaka pitta by removing the excess heat out of the tissues.
- Twak benefits the skin and helps to digest the formula.
- Red sandalwood is CITES-listed; replace with sariva if necessary.