Pink eye is an inflammation of eye which is very common among babies, children and adults. Pinkeye, also called conjunctivitis contagious in nature caused by both viral and bacterial infections. It is an infection of the conjunctiva (white part of the eye) which keeps the eyelids and eyes moist. Three main types of pink eye (Conjunctivitis) are there such as bacterial conjunctivitis, allergic conjunctivitis and viral conjunctivitis. Bacterial conjunctivitis occurs due to staphylococcal or streptococcal bacteria, allergic conjunctivitis is caused by allergens like dust or smoke while viral conjunctivitis is led by a virus. Bacterial and viral conjunctivitis spread quickly from one person to another by contact with a contaminated surface/item or through exposure to infected persons, particularly if strict rules of hygiene are not observed.
Symptoms of Pink Eye
- Excessive tearing
- Redness, itchiness and swelling of the eye
- Constant pain in the eye
- Unable to tolerate bright light
- A clear white discharge (viral infection or allergy)
- Yellowish and greenish discharge from the eye
Home Remedies for Conjunctivitis:
- Wash eyes with Triphala water daily
- You can use rose water as an eye drop.
- Elderberry blossom tea can be used as eyewash.
- Use Ayurvedic medicated Kajala (Anjana) before bed.
- Yogurt is one of the beneficial home remedies for conjunctivitis. Just apply some poultice yogurt over the affected area of the eye.
- Use boric acid or warm milk as a hot compress or eyewash.
- Put 2 teabags of chamomile (moist) over the affected eye for 10 minute.
- You can also use marigold and chamomile compress to treat conjunctivitis.
- Castor oil 2 –3 drops applying eyes for relief.
- Lactating mothers can use breast milk over the affected area of the infants.
- To treat conjunctivitis, just put a cold bread slice over the infected eye.
- Breast milk is believed to be able to cure pink eye infections in babies as it contains natural antibodies. Use a sterilized dropper to drop some milk into the eye, repeat this every couple of hours.
- Fresh Aloe Vera plant contains antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties and it can be used to treat eye infections.
- Onion juice is good remedy for conjunctivitis. Drop onion juice in each eyes.
- A cup Indian gooseberry juice with 2 tsp honey and drink this mixture 2 times a day.
- First, drop honey into infected eye as an eye drop. Second, use it as eyewash by mixing 3 Tbsp honey with 2 cups of boiling water. Use the mixture after it cools.
- Just soak a clean cloth in cold water and remove excess water. Then, put the wet cloth on your eyes.
- Combine 2 tsp turmeric powder and 1 cup boiled water. After that, use this mixture as a hot compress on the affected eye.
- Just take few drops of lemon juice in your palm and apply it outside of the affected area (white area) with the help of clean finger.
Good hygiene is necessary for controlling the spread of pink eye. If you can follow the proper care of eyes you can avoid eye infection.
- Don’t touch your eyes with your bare hands.
- Wash your hands frequently before touching.
- Wash eyes with clean water only.
- Change your pillow cover often.
- Don’t use any cosmetics, Mascara.
- If using contact lens follow doctor instruction properly, handle with care.
- If child is infected , it is contagious disease better to take rest in home.
- if there is no improvement by home remedies visit eye specialist as soon as possible.