Cholesterol is the essential component for the body. But excess of this can lead to various heart diseases. Normally cholesterol is available in two form High density cholesterol (HDL) and low density cholesterol (LDL). HDL is also known as good cholesterol as it helps in carrying LDL to the liver where it is disposed of from the body. Even excess LDL causes the arteries to get clogged and is also known as bad cholesterol. Maintaining the cholesterol level helps to check the heart diseases
According to Ayurveda, cholesterol is not harmful itself but when ama is present it effect the body. Ama are the metabolic waste like toxins in the fat tissues. Ama are byproduct of improper digestion, absorption and metabolism which can block the bodily channels such as arteries. Cholesterol are located in coronary arteries leading to condition Hridaya roga in Ayurveda. This is similar to atherosclerosis. Increase in Cholesterol level is the condition of heart disease and condition for risk. There is very good treatment for Cholesterol in Ayurveda. Depending upon the cause of cholesterol level either diet and lifestyle, lifestyle modification, herbal therapy and body detoxification treatment is necessary for good results.
Useful Herbs in the Treatment of Cholesterol
– Alfalfa (Medicago satina)
Alfalfa is very effective in clearing arteries congested with cholesterol.
– Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna)
Arjuna is best cardio tonic in action. The bark of arjuna is powdered and used to dissolve the cholesterol accumulated in coronary artery.
– Coriander (Coriandrum sativum)
Coriander is best for kidney and excretory system. Kidney can flush the excess cholesterol from body with the use of coriander.
– Garlic (Allium cepa)
Garlic is best anti-cholesterol. Eating cloves of a garlic everyday help in reduce harmful cholesterol in the blood.
– Guggulu (Commiphora mukul)
Guggulu contains guggulsterones which is the best to reduce cholesterol level. Guggulu is the best remedy for cholesterol and heart related diseases.
– Holy Basil (Ocimum sanctum)
Holy basil is best for blood and heart disease. It has capacity for dissolving the cholesterol from the arteries. Then it is eliminated from the kidneys.
– Drinking coriander water everyday helps to remove the unwanted cholesterol in the body
– Mix piece of garlic in glassful of milk and boil. Drinking daily will helps to reduce cholesterol and cardiac pain.
– Taking cold hipbaths twice daily helps in reduction of cholesterol.
– A simple remedy is to have a single piece of garlic every morning.
– Using Almonds and walnut daily helps controlling cholesterol.
Ayurvedic Diet for Treatment of Cholesterol
- Ayurveda suggests that individuals suffering from the problem of high cholesterol should watch what they eat. Fat and fatty foods should be avoided or consumes in minimalistic qualities.
- All animal fat needs to be excluded from the diet including dairy products.
- Include foods that are rich sources of antioxidants in your diet. You can eat citrus fruits, nuts such as walnuts and almonds, carrots, strawberries, apples, spinach and broccoli.
- Consuming garlic is a good option for people fighting high levels of LDL. Eat a clove or two of grilled garlic for instance on a daily basis.
- Curry leaves and turmeric are known to have properties that remove the clogging from the arteries. Try cooking your food with curry leaves and add turmeric to food to reap their benefits.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Cholesterol
- In ayurveda various herbs are used to treat and control high cholesterol.
- Alfalfa is one of most used ayurvedic medicine for cholesterol. It primarily helps in the cleaning of arteries that have been clogged with cholesterol deposits.
- Guggulu (Commiphora mukul) helps to reduce the level of cholesterol in one’s system. It has guggulsterones which decongests clogged arteries and also prevent further rise of cholesterol levels.
- In order to effectively dissolve the cholesterol deposits in the body, tulsi or holy basil is also used for consumption.
- Arjuna (terminalia Arjuna) has been used order to heart related ailments. It is also used in order to clean, blocked arteries which further prevents the risk of any cholesterol related problems such as heart attacks.
- Other medicines that are prescribed in case of high cholesterol are hridayarnava rasa, prabhakara vati and mrigamdavasa. Mrigamdavasa is given to those patients who have very high levels of LDL.
Yoga for Cholesterol
In order for the ayurvedic diet and medicines for cholesterol to work, one must quit smoking and drinking, get adequate sleep and finally exercise daily. In fact yoga asana such as padmasana, shalabhasana, and vajrasana are especially beneficial for people who are suffering from high cholesterol.
Yoga is also very beneficial in proper circulation and elimination of the cholesterol buildup in the body. Some of the useful asanas are:-